You are currently browsing Angela’s articles.
Don’t worry – I haven’t abandoned the blog already! Things I’ve been doing lately:
- Working on Project Rockstar: getting the website into place and working on content generating
- Walking and Running: Went for a walk/run by myself on Sunday and it was absolutely terrible but I’ll do it again. I was tired and it hurt! Just going to take a bit of time to convince my body that this is doable. Also went and walked around Holmes Lake is a friend so that was cool.
- Gym: Working with the new trainer and he has me trying some new things. Did a workout with TRX stuff on Monday and I’ve never done that before. On the outside I showed confidence but in my head I was pretty sure I’d fall flat on my face or something. I didn’t so that’s a plus. Also did my longest run on the elliptical of 35 minutes and level 4.
- Pains: So after all that I did end up with a log of pain in my right ankle. It might be a shin splint? I wonder if it’s related to the fact that my left calf muscle is longer and looser than my right one thanks to surgery. I ended up just taking a rest day yesterday after I started limping around. I also had a mini pity party and took a nap on the couch. I’m working hard on staying positive but no one can do that 100% of the time!
- Life: I went out a couple times with my friend to go shopping. We hit the outlet mall in Gretna which is apparently my new favorite place to shop. I can’t wait to get down to sizes so I can wear all the cool clothes I see there. We also swung by my old trainer’s gym and surprised him so that was cool too. I’m really working on being more social and doing things instead of just sleeping in and complaining.
- School: It’s about the same, read, write stuff, post stuff, repeat. We have a group project due in a couple weeks so we’ve been working on our presentation and paper. Our topic is on multitasking and being a student, about how that’s not always the best approach to doing things. Should be interested and I lucked into a really good group.
So what have you guys been up to? Let me know in the comments!
I’m starting up Project Rockstar – now is your chance to make changes and become a Rockstar! (Or a Brockstar if your name is Brock).
What is Project Rockstar?
Project Rockstar is about finding those things inside of you that make you awesome. It’s about digging in and living life to it’s fullest. It’s about wanting to be healthy and happy. It’s about making goals and reaching them!
Who can participate?
Anyone! Project Rockstar is about you and what you want to do. Everything is individualized around your awesome self. It’s about positive self talk and positive self image. It’s about releasing your inner Rockstar!
How do I participate?
All you need is a blog and a desire to change something in your life! You can get a blog here on wordpress.com or on blogger or wherever. The important part is to make goals, write about your goals, and celebrate your accomplishments!
More information will be coming soon so please keep an eye out! If you want to join please email me your blog address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Life is always full of changes, sometimes expected and other times not. I suppose it would be pretty boring if everything stayed the same. Sometimes maybe we do get too comfortable in a habit and need something to shake things up. For me the biggest change recently is that I have a new personal trainer to work with. This was a lot more emotional for me than I thought it would have been but everything happens for a reason.
My old trainer got a new job and I’m so happy for him. I fully support anyone that’s trying to move forward in life and if getting a new job is the way to do that then go for it! He’s a great trainer and person so I know he will do really well at his new job. It’s going to be a little hard going to the gym for a bit and not seeing him but I’ll adjust.
I met with my new trainer, Andrew, yesterday and he had me do some circuit type training to get an idea of where I am fitness wise. Most of the things we did I was familiar with – step ups, chest press, lunges – but then we also did this thing when I had to pull a long rope and then run and pull it again. That was tiring but actually kind of fun. Apparently it’s personally owned rope so I think we’ll be using it again. He’s pushing my cardio as well, wants me doing 30 minutes at once on a machine. This will be the longest I’ve pushed myself on the elliptical so hopefully I’ll make it!
One of my next projects is going to be on how to workout when you have a lot of weight to lose. I’m only just now working on the framework but hope to have something put together soon.
Have an awesome day everyone!
I’ve been working on setting up a page on Google+ and I’d love to have you join me! I have future plans in the works for some projects that will be posted there. Anyone else use Google+ and have any tips for getting the most out of it?
I did my weigh in this morning and I’m down another 9.9 lbs which is awesome. Just have to keep going!
I’m finally back in action trying to get my life back on track. I won’t bore you with the details but life got fairly complicated and awful but I feel like I’m on the other side of that now. I’ve been doing a lot to get myself back to where I was before all that stuff happened. It’s time to shelve that part of my life, dust myself off, and move on.
I’m back to eating healthy and working out again. I started working with a personal trainer last October and that’s been going really well. I have made a lot of progress and I have a lot of progress left to make. My big concerns now are on returning to life, being social, eating well, getting exercise, and enjoying life.
I’m in school again (or always?) and I’m now working on my MBA. It will be a slow process but that’s ok, I’m not in a hurry so I’ll get there when I get there.
I was also recently diagnosed officially with adult ADD and I’ve started treatment for that. It’s been a little over a month since my treatment started and I can really tell that I’m doing a lot better. I can focus on tasks and get things done. I actually feel like I’m involved in my own life again and that’s great.
So my next path is to bring the blog back and start updating it. I’m even debating starting to do some vlogs but I have to figure out a good place to do filming so we’ll see. I want to spend more time outside and enjoying life. Time to open my eyes and reclaim my awesome life.
Thanks to all my friends that have put up with me and been there for me despite all my issues.
I started my job last week and right now I’m working from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM CST. I decided the best way to get to the gym would be to just get up at 5:45 and go before work. This leaves me plenty of time in the morning to get ready for work too.
I have started focusing on swimming as my main form of exercise right now. I like to start out with a little water walking and then do some body weight exercises like squats, leg lifts, etc. The water really helps me a lot because it takes the impact off my joints plus it feels great.
I took swimming lessons as a kid so I do know the basic strokes but I am way out of practice. I spend part of my time in the pool working on fundamentals so I can start doing laps. I am currently working on being able to put my head under the water and time my breathing. Today was the first time I was able to swim a crawl stroke across the deep end, which is about a third of a lap lane long, and get my breathing under control.
I know with time this will get easier because I will learn and train myself to swim better. That’s pretty exciting really because I can do this and I’m already showing improvement. Plus, just being in the pool floating around feels awesome.
I wasn’t sure what I wanted for dinner tonight but I did know I had a pound of ground beef that needed to be used. I looked around on the web for recipes but couldn’t find something that I both wanted and had all the ingredients for. I really didn’t want another night of hamburger patties. So I decided to get creative and just start cooking and see what happened, what I ended up with was a type of paleo hash that’s actually quite good.
Paleo Slaw Hash
- 1lb of ground beef, you could use turkey or sausage
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 package of broccoli slaw
- seasonings you prefer, I used Mrs Dash Table Blend
- preferred oil, I used olive oil
Heat oil in a skillet and brown ground beef, add seasoning.
In a bowl combine mashed avocado and coconut milk and stir until mixed. Mixture will mostly likely be lumpy.
Once ground beef has been brown add the avocado/coconut milk mix and stir well.
Once well mixed add one bag of broccoli slaw and stir well. Allow mixture to cook while stirring frequently.
The broccoli slaw will start to wilt and get a deeper shade of green, this means it is ready to eat.
When I went to bed last night I was hungry which I guess I expected to happen but I was surprised that it actually kept me awake. I survived the night though and decided to celebrate by cooking a delicious breakfast. I went with two slices of bacon, coffee with almond milk, and paleo pancakes. I put the recipe below for the pancakes and they were tasty but it was more like banana flavored scrambled egg. I had a hard time flipping the cakes so they came out a little mushy. I might play around with adding some almond or coconut flour to see if that helps make them hold together better.
Easy Paleo Pancakes
- 1 banana
- 1 large egg
Mash banana in a bowl until fairly smooth. Add egg and stir with a fork until completely mixed.
Heat your choice of oil in a pan, I used olive oil, and drop batter into pan. Let pancake cook until brown on the bottom and flip. (This was nearly impossible for me without it breaking apart, don’t worry, it still tastes pretty good!)
I ate mine plain but they could easily be topped with berries. You can also add cinnamon and salt if you desire, I did not. No pictures on this one because it was not photographic.